Our Content Copy Tips & Tricks
Great social media management requires the pooling of many skills. From having an exciting eye for design, to creating engaging campaigns and knowing how to craft exceptional copy. At first it can feel like a lot to master all while being able to keep a finger on the pulse. When it comes to the creative, clever and concise captions that make good copy and content great, we’re here to help. If you’d rather outsource copywriting to our team, we totally get it! If however, you’re ready to take on the task of sharpening your copy skills, here are some of our best kept secrets to give you a head start.
First of all, what does good content copy look like?
When writing for social media and marketing campaigns a few things should differ. You have to create a perfect blend of sales pitch and conversation all in one. Great copy is also genuine. Try to be authentic and know what you’re writing about and why you’re writing it before you begin. Know who you are talking to as well. That way you have a better chance of connecting with them through your copy.
Some other things we do to write great copy include:
- Ensure what you’re writing is actually going to be of interest to your audience. Use headlines in your writing to interest your readers too. You can get creative with spacing your captions so certain sentences are your “headline” before readers are prompted to click “see more”. Make sure your copy headlines, titles, and openers do you justice. Make sure they capture the most interesting point of what you’re trying to say or leave people so intrigued that can’t possibly scroll past!
- If you’re stuck on content ideas there is nothing more valuable than what has been done before. Many people overlook the content they’ve done before, but not only is it a great source of inspiration, but a great place to improve and better your work. Look through your old content and copy. See what worked and what didn’t. You can recycle the parts that worked into new ideas and write EVEN better copy in your content.
- Establish your voice. Nobody wants to read something that has no personality. There is enough copy out there for your audiences so making yours stand out will ensure it’s effective and engaging. Avoid speaking passively. Be confident in your copy and you will quickly establish your business as a point of authority in your niche. Excite your readers and capture exactly what your business is about by ensuring your copy is written with an active, engaging voice.
- This one probably goes without saying but check! Your! Grammar! And then check it again! And even once more for good measure. We all know it’s easy for typos to slip through the cracks so you can never be too careful checking your copy. Have it run over by a few different people for good measure. The last thing you need is your readers to be distracted from your point by a typo or grammar mistake that could’ve been so easily avoided!
- Devising a style guide for your captions and copy is a little extra effort that will go a long way. It will save you time in the future and ensure your business is represented through your copy with a cohesive and effective style. You can also set character limits to optimise your copy style to your audience.